Saturday 28 January 2012

Week 4: Helping verses Hoarding (Jan 22-28)

Today I am officially unemployed and a stay-at-home mom. It feels weird to not have a job, but also really great to know I get to stay at home and raise my daughter and not pay for daycare. This week was unusual; hardly any mail and I spent more this week on groceries then I have the rest of the weeks. We got a newer used car which was nice and we didn't have to spend extra money on paying off a speeding ticket from last year due to the officer moving out of province. It was a week where God blessed us in other areas instead of in the grocery store. However, the best part of this week was actually helping someone out with my couponing. It's a pretty cool story, but you'll have to read the whole post to get to it at the end.

Mail; I might as well not even mention. 2 coupon trains. That's it!
2 stops this week: RCSS and Walmart

This week was more of a "stock-up" kind of week. I hardly used any coupons but there were great "bulk" deals. My maternity pay is coming to an end (just one more payment from the gov't) which means my grocery budget gets slashed. So I figured now would be a great time to stock up on some much needed items.

RCSS:
Kellogg's Special K: reg. $3.38 on sale. $1.94 X 2 - $1.00 X 2 = $1.88 = 0.94 cents per box (also if you purchased 2 boxes you could get a free yoga mat-can't wait to get it in the mail)
Kellogg's Cereal: on sale. $2.97 B2GO = $5.94 for 3 boxes = $1.98 per box

All Bran Bars: on sale. $2.47 X 3 - $1.00 X 3 = $2.94 = $1.47 per box (these also came with a $1.00 off coupon for the next time I buy All Bran bars = 3 X $1.00 coupons)
Triscuits: on sale. $1.97 - FPC = FREE!
Tylenol (100 count): on sale. $5.97 X 2 - $2.00 X 2 = $7.94 = $3.97 per box!

Total: $85.63
Coupons: $21.94
Savings : 21%

Walmart:

Catelli Whole Wheat Pasta: on sale. $1.77 X 2 - $1.00 WUB2 = $2.54 = $1.27 per box
Chunky Soup: reg. $2.49. on sale. $1.67 X 16 cans - 4 X $1 WUB4 = $22.72 = $1.42 per can (my husband loves these for lunch and they hardly ever go on sale)

Total: $67.04
Coupons: $7.50
Savings :10%

So on to the story; earlier this week I decided to post 2 cans of Enfamil formula on a Facebook buy and sell site. I had stacked coupons and purchased the cans for about $3 each rather than $34.99 (the large ones). My daughter never ended up needing formula so I decided to sell it for $20.00 a can to someone who did need it. The short version of the story is that a young single mom who was in some financial woes ended up messaging me. I dropped it off for her and even gave her some Enfamil and Diaper coupons too to help her out. She couldn't tell me how much she appreciated the good price and the extras, as she was trying to decide whether to feed her son this month or spend the extra money on moving to a safer place. It just made me happy that someone so deserving got it and that I could give it to her so cheap since I used coupons to get it for next to nothing.

Total Spent Week 4: $152.67
Total Coupons Week 4: $29.44
% Savings: 16%

Total Spent to Date: $456.82
Total Coupons to Date: $167.04
% savings to Date: 27% 

No comments:

Post a Comment